Sunday, December 19, 2010

The market of Chichicastenango

Hi, we-ve been on the road, but just the day before yesterday we went on a zip line, which was loads of fun. We got a diploma. The 2 guides were very nice. I rode with my Dad and he ran the brakes. My favorite time was when he almost forgot to run the brakes, that was a real jolt. Thanks Dad!
Today is Sunday so the market is open and I-ve got 4 new masks to hang on the wall. I was able to talk in Spanish and bargain the prices down. The masks are of a jaguar, a lion, a wolf, and a bull.
I really liked the wolf, lion and bull, but my favorite was the jaguar.
I made a candle holder out of some volcanic rock that was really easy to cut a hole in with a shell and we have 4 light blue candles to put in there. We swam in Lake Atitlan for about 15 or 16 minutes. We took a walking tour in San Juan, but Dad said it was a driving tour. Thanks a lot, Dad. We saw a mountain that was shaped like a Mayan face that looked like it was lying down on its back. We also went to the house of a Mayan priest.
We took a boat from San Juan to Panajachel and then we took a bus from Panajachel to Chichi. Considering it was only 25 miles, it took 3 hours.
Tomorrow we will be heading back to Antigua and I will start posting photos, including a photo of my masks.

No comments:

Post a Comment